The project was subsidised by the European Union from the European Fund for Regional Development as part of the Czech Republic – Poland Territorial Cooperation Operational Program 2007-2013, as well as from government funds, via the Nysa Euroregion and the budget of Lwówek County.
CZ
DE
EN
PL
Starostwo Powiatowe w Lwówku Śląskim
ul. Szpitalna 4
59-600 Lwówek Śląski
Tel. +48 (0)75 782 36 50 Fax. +48 (0)75 782 36 54
Godziny pracy: Poniedziałek 8.00 - 16.00
  Wtorek - Piątek 7.30 - 15.30

Użytkowników on-line: 1
Zalogowanych: 0
Lubomierz Municipality
A A A Pdf Print16x16 Mail16x16

Lubomierz is a small town of about 2000 inhabitants, and the seat of the municipal authorities. It lies in the Izerskie Foothills, in the Olza Valley between the Radomickie and Radoniowskie Hills.
The origins of Lubomierz are unclear. It’s possible that a trading settlement was already established there in the 12th century, while in the 13th century the land became the property of the von Liebenthal family. In 1278, Jutta von Liebenthal founded a Benedictine Convent which became the landlord of Lubomierz and the surrounding villages. In future centuries the nuns extended their estate and it’s estimated that they owned 17- 19 villages. The convent had jurisdiction over the local townspeople and could influence the composition of the municipal authorities. In around 1291, Bolko I the Strict, the Duke of Świdnica and Jawor, granted Lubomierz a town charter. The rights obtained by the town included being able to build defensive walls, brew beer, trade in salt and organize fairs. Its growth was often interrupted by fires, epidemics and wars. Particularly hard times befell Lubomierz in the first half of the 15th century. In 1421, the local convent was looted by marauderknights. In the summer of 1426 the Hussites arrived in Lubomierz, as a result of which the town and convent were plundered and destroyed. They were soon rebuilt after the destruction, however, thanks to the help of the local landlords, and particularly due to the powerful Schaffgotsches. In 1481, a Fowler Brotherhood was established in Lubomierz. The town’s heyday was in the 16th century and the first years of the 17th century. Fame and profit was brought to the townspeople by the production and trade in linen yarn. Pigeon fairs were also held.
It’s noteworthy that many significant figures in the Polish Renaissance came from Lubomierz, including the renowned Kraków printers and publishers: Hieronim Wietor, Marek Scharffenberg and Marcin Siebenyecher. The growth of Lubomierz washindered by the Thirty Years’ War (1618-1648). The frequent quartering of soldiers, looting and fires brought the town to ruin. After the war was over the reconstruction of the town was hampered by conflicts between the townspeople and the nuns. In the 18th century, Lubomierz came under Prussian control. In 1802, a great fire almost completely destroyed the town and convent buildings. A few years later, in 1810, the Prussian authorities introduced the secularization of church property. The monastic estates were seized by the state, and Lubomierz ceased to be the property of the Benedictines. Still visible in the surrounding villages today is evidence of their having belonging to the convent, with shrines, crosses and statues. In 1845, some former convent buildings were taken over by the Ursulines from Wrocław, who ran a home for girls, and then an orphanage.
 


A significant event for the town was the opening in 1885 of a railway line joining Lubomierz to Lwówek Śląski and Gryfów Śląski. In the first decades of the 20th century the town became a local centre for education. There were a number of schools, with a Protestant Seminar, a secondary school and a construction school all opening next to the school run by the Ursulines. During the Second World War the town did not suffer damage as it was seized by the Soviet troops of the 31st Army without a fight. After the war Lubomierz was known above all as a centre for education. There was, for example, a Teacher’s College. The picturesque location and well-preserved architecture interested filmmakers, who took a liking to using Lubomierz as a film backdrop (In Lubomierz they filmed shots for such films as: “Krzyż Walecznych” (Cross of Valour), “Sami Swoi” (All Friends Here), “Nie ma mocnych” (No Can Do), “Kochaj albo rzuć”, (Love it or Leave it), “Daleko na Zachodzie” (Far out West), “Maratończyk” (Marathon Man), “Kocham kino” (I Love Cinema), “Zakład” (Institution), or recently “Tajemnica twierdzy szyfrów” (The Secret of Code Fortress”. It’s noteworthy that the premiere of the Sylwester Chęciński film “Sami Swoi” took place in the “Raj” cinema in the town on 12 September 1967).
The Kargul and Pawlak Museum opened in 1995 and has a collection of souvenirs connected to the heroes of the Sylwester Chęciński film, as well as to other films produced in Lubomierz. It is housed in the historical Clothmaker’s House, Wolności Sq. 21. Standing in front of the entrance are wooden statues of Pawlak and Kargul, carved in 1996 by local artists.
Tourist trails run through Lubomierz: a yellow one towards Gryfów Śląski and Maciejowiec, a blue one to Lwówek Śląski and Rębiszów, as well as the ER-10 cycle trail (“Smědá – Kwisa – Bóbr” (Lwówek Śląski – Frydlant)).

 

Homepage Lubomierz




 

Galerie powiązane z artykułem: